Friday, September 12, 2014

8 September 2014

As usual my brain is scattered and thoughts fly everywhere but I did note down during the week things that happened that I thought would be good to note down and share and so, here we go!

There's a new Mormon Message that I thought was really powerful. An Elder described it to me as a "James Bond" Mormon Message and naturally, my curiosity was piqued and I can see the James Bond (because of his suit and his hair being too long for an Elder) but I really, really loved the cinematography of the Mormon Message - the mis-en-scene and how minimalistic the setting was. Unfortunately I can't remember the title but bear with me!!! It is about an Atheist man and his journey to finding God. Favourite scenes include when he is literally walking up and down that desert terrain - reflective of the ups and downs of life. The bbq in the middle of the desert also made so much sense to me because that is how ... jarring or dissonant those happy families and faces were to his life. And little things like the slow motion rewind of the water in the pan representing his fast. The overall message was that perhaps it isn't that the Lord doesn't speak to us, He speaks to us all the time. The real question is are we listening? Are we recognising that things come from Him? Are we even at a point in our life where we are able to? And no matter where we are on our journey of faith, just trust that God knows where you are and He will lead you back to Him. Trust in Him. Trust that there is more, trust that you will receive (or recognise) the answers to your prayers...
Maybe Eliza if you could attach the Mormon Message then people could stop scratching their heads about this video but it is great! We've shown it to a few people. 

Other things... last week I finished reading the New Testament!
I love drinking from the written word. To be honest, a lot of it was a bit hard for me to understand but after Revelations and realising things are meant to be taken symbolically a lot of the time and things are hard to understand without the context of the time period or culture then that helped. it also strengthened my testimony that although I love the Bible, a lot of plain and precious truths have been removed - I can see that, and it strengthens my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I am up to Alma now in the Book of Mormon (I read things concurrently as you can see...) and I just read over chapter 5 and this is my favourite chapter because if you are in the right place, the Spirit can be felt there and it really convicts you. I love how bold Alma is and I'm so grateful that his powerful testimony and example is recorded and that I have access to it! I'm able to learn and hopefully apply it in my daily life. 

This past week my companion and I were also very blessed (my companion was especially blessed! She's so funny - have I ever told you about her wry sense of humour?) to give training in district meeting! We shared some scriptures I'll share with you briefly (by the way, if I start talking with too much jargon - feel free to ask for an explanation. I think my email is on the webpage somewhere). In John 21:13-18 Jesus asks Peter if he loves him three times. Peter says, 'Yes Lord, you know I love you to which Jesus responds 'feed my lambs'. And then the second time and third time Peter says yes, the Lord tells him to feed my sheep. I would refer to the scriptures themselves for a more accurate reading... but in any case! The mandate from Christ is quite clear! Feed the lambs! Feed the sheep! But who are the sheep? In terms of missionary work, sheep are all around us. And they make the tenuous steps back into the Good Shepherd's fold when they first accept the invitation to listen to the message of the restored gospel. And this leads us to another scripture. Ezekiel 34 and vs 2 of that says 'Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?' and then the Lord goes on to reprove those shepherds in that verse. Woe be to the missionaries that feed themselves and not the sheep.... And with the adage 'every member a missionary' perhaps woe to a few more other people also..... Giving training on something we were struggling with (finding new investigators) really helped to open our minds. So with more determination we set out to properly follow up those who had accepted an invitation to listen to the restored gospel. And many blessings followed! And one of them was a Filipino lady and her beautiful young family. She's been through a lot and because she's Filipino - it always reminds me of home. Not in a homesick way - just in a that her accent, her children, her household even is all that little bit familiar. And we are going to visit them again next Tuesday!
So, not sure why I shared that. Maybe to help me remember in the future to feed the sheep (find the lambs, feed the sheep! Gordon B. Hinckley, 1999. that reference was awful but it was a really good talk!) or to help me to remember to trust in the Lord more. He will see us through. That I have definitely learnt!

We have another beautiful (everybody in Adelaide is beautiful by the way) sister preparing for baptism in the upcoming weeks! Her testimony is so tender. I feel very blessed to have been a part of her journey into the restored gospel. 

Other fun things - I'm still baking! (there is a picture. sorry, it is the only picture I've taken lately...) Today is P-day so I made banana bread and I'm going to experiment making some kind of pizza (thanks Tita Tasmin for the recipe!) for lunch. And it is always great fun being able to share the spoils of my labour. 


Isn't the gospel beautiful? Isn't the world beautiful? How blessed are we to live in a day and age where the secrets to peace and happiness are not so secret after all! I know that my Father in Heaven loves me. I know that my Saviour, even Jesus Christ, loves me and atoned for me personally. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored in these latter days and I am so blessed to be able to represent that church, to represent even the Savior in preaching the gospel to the world (one person at a time.....).

Love to you all from Adelaide!


Sister Magallanes

No comments: