Wednesday, March 19, 2014

March 17 2014

March 17 2014

Hello! This week I want to share something that my mission president shared with our whole mission about diligence. To me diligence is when you keep going when nobody is watching and when you are tired. It's about persevering because you promised to. It's about self-discipline. And it is a really really important principle not only for an effective missionary but also for life. It is a Christ-like attribute.

President Gordon B Hinckley said:
One of the greatest tragedies we witness almost daily is the tragedy of men of high aim and low achievement. Their motives are noble. Their proclaimed ambition is praiseworthy. Their capacity is great. But their discipline is weak. They succumb to indolence. Appetite robs them of will.

And it also reminds me of one of my favourite sayings 'the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions.' I'm sure you've probably heard that one from me before. For me I'm not trying to tell anyone that good thoughts are redundant, because they are important! But I've met so many people here who read the bible and understand from it that because they believe in God they will be saved. I think this strikes a cord within me because I know that at times in my life I am someone with 'good intentions' gone awry. I meant to tell you that! I meant to get you that gift before your birthday.... I meant to keep in contact with you (sorry for forgetting to bring anyone's details out with me again..) and so maybe that's why this struck me. Because I can totally envision myself plodding along my path completely oblivious to my lack of progress because to be honest I've always been a bit of a dreamer. But now on my mission, now is the time to act! The best way to achieve your dreams is to wake up and work on them. And that's something I love so much about this gospel. It is a gospel of action. We are not a lay faith. And faith without works is dead as James teaches in the Bible.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 I recently read 'Our Search For Happiness' and I recommend it! Two thumbs up! Five stars! It is catered towards an audience that isn't LDS and it aims to promote understanding. If you're still struggling with why I would leave my family behind for 18 months to then teach everyone I meet that families are important then I refer you to that book.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


And Dad, I forgot to email this to you but I'm running out of time so I will add it here, please read Alma 43:1 and add 'and daughters' (to the second line) and know that I thought of you. Thank you so much for the example you and mum have always set for me. Because of you, because of you Eliza and you Ella and you Elder Magallanes and you mum and dad I can truly testify to people that I have never met before that the gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families and I know it because it has blessed my family. I love the Lord. And I strive to purify my heart each day so that my love can be more true. How can one love someone or something that one does not know? So I also strive to learn more about Jesus Christ and to be more like Him each and every day. And I love the work. And I leave you these things as my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: