Thursday, January 16, 2014

I have so much news for you! I'll try to go in chronological order.

On Saturday I had a trade-off! I had to leave my companion, who is also my trainer, who is also my mum here in my mission, who is also totally the bomb and take my lovely sister training leader around! She's from Taihiti! Here is a picture of us :)

She taught me so much but I'll highlight with you only a few of the things I learnt. She taught me what it means to really put everything at home on the altar of sacrifice. That means that you don't think about home, you don't let it distract you from the present, from the people you are trying to find and teach and love. There is no room for people at home in your heart because you must give it all on your mission. She told me that even as you do that, it doesn't mean you don't love them any longer. In fact, she says, she loves them more. But she doesn't think about them. It sounds so paradoxical but she is a living example of how it works. You don't worry about the people or life you left behind because you know that the Lord will take care of them. The day was so jam-packed! But the next day was even better.

On Sunday I was so privileged to witness and be a part of the baptism of this lovely lovely lady named Young. Young is so gorgeous. Inside and out. She's 21 years old and an international student from China studying nursing here in Adelaide. The Elders met her in another area, but as she lived in our area, we were able to finish teaching her the lessons and to help her prepare for baptism. I forget that not everyone reading this understands all of this jargon but if I had to describe baptism simply I would say that it was a way that we can follow the example of Jesus Christ (by being baptised by immersion) and it represents the commitment you make to follow him for the rest of your life. You take upon His name, you truly become Christian. You promise to strive to always keep His commandments. Baptism is a necessary ordinance for your salvation in the life hereafter. It is followed by the ordinance of the gift of the Holy Ghost. I hope I haven't lost anyone here. Feel free to comment and/or reply if I've lost you!

She was able to bear her testimony. In her testimony she explained that in China, she knew nothing about God. But now she knows that regardless of who we are, regardless of nationality we are all children of God. And she is so incredibly eager to share her experiences with her family at home! The whole program was so lovely. The musical item was so touching, as were the talks. I learnt something that I know I can apply for myself in the talk and maybe someday I'll share it with you. Here is a photo of us and her friends! I'm going to remember her always :)

And one more thing. Boy, driving. Driving driving driving. I hope you can hear what I'm not saying as I just repeat the word. Hehe. But everyone has their own struggles and challenges. It just happens that mine is driving and direction. (Don't laugh, you know I had trouble with directing you to my house with your GPS so you can imagine how much patience I teach my companion as I struggle with this....) but I love her a lot! And here's a photo of us :D

I know it looks like I'm smiling but it's actually a grimace, a please stop now I'm trying to drive kind of grin. Also I am so grateful for my car/licence because next week the temperature is all in the 40s..... but I am no Laman or Lemuel! No murmuring! The work will go on! I am so grateful to be a part of this work :)

I'd like to close this weekly entry with my testimony. I know that I am in the right place. I know that the gospel blesses families, it blesses individuals and it can definitely bless you, dear reader. I hope you all have a lovely lovely week!

Love you heaps!

Sister Magallanes

No comments: